Fidget Spinners’ Therapeutic Benefits
- Spinners expel nervous energy-Think about the subconscious movements you make when you feel nervous (i.e. biting nails, pacing, tapping, mindlessly snacking). Spinners give your hands something constructive to do when you feel nervous.
- Spinners decrease anxiety- Fidgets can take away the focus of tension (i.e. a conversation, a test, etc…) and instead re-directs it to the spinner
- Spinners restore control to the individual- We cannot control all the factors that surround high pressure situations (likes tests or social events) which causes great anxiety for some. Spinners restore some control back to the individual during perceived “out of control” situations, empowering them with more confidence and security.
- Spinners provide calming visual stimulation- Because the spinners are predictable in their direction and speed, they are calming to the eye. Again, when situations feel out of control, individuals find security in predictable, reliable objects such as these.
- Spinners initiate conversation- Because spinners are a fun, unique fidget coming in all different sizes, shapes, and colors, many kids are curious about them and will strike up a conversation about them.
Who Can Benefit From Fidget Spinners?
Spinners aren’t just for kids either, individuals of all ages can benefit from using fidgets, but especially individuals with the following:
- ADHD/ ADD
- Autism or Aspergers
- Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)
- Behavioral Problems
- Inattention/Difficulty Focusing
- Shyness/ Social Anxiety